What is J-Term?
J-Term is a mini, four-week term in January that offers a chance for students to get a head start on the rest of the academic year. Students can enroll in a maximum of 5 credit hours at $200 per credit hour.
Registration for J-Term 2022 and for the Spring 2022 semester opened on Monday, November 8, 2021.Register
The first day of classes for J-Term is Thursday, January 6, 2022. The final day of classes for J-Term is Friday, January 28, 2022.Academic Calendars
Below are some of the courses being offered as part of J-Term 2022. J-Term courses are also available in the course catalog in OASIS.
- ART/COM/FMS-175 Introduction to Web Design (Remote Synchronous): Aaron Putt instructor; 4 credits
- BIO-290D Special Topics in Biology: Research in Comparative Genomics (Remote Synchronous): Lea Alford and Karen Schmeichel instructors; 1 credit
- CHM-101 General Chemistry I (In-person): Milana Thomas instructor; 4 credits
- CHM-101L General Chemistry I Lab (In-person): Milana Thomas instructor; 1 credit
- CHM-201 Organic Chemistry I (In-person): Greg Gabriel instructor; 4 credits
- CHM-201L Organic Chemistry I Lab (In-person): Greg Gabriel instructor; 1 credit
- COM-101 Theories of Communication and Rhetoric (Hybrid): Melany Chambers instructor; 4 credits
- COR-314 Mathematics and Human Nature (In-person): Linda deCamp instructor; 4 credits
- COR-350 Core Elective: Progress, Modernity, and Urbanization (Hybrid): Jaclyn McWhorter; 4 credits
- FMS-290 Special Topics in Film and Media Studies: Short Film Production (In-person): Ron Burgess instructor; 4 credits
- INT-290 Special Topics in Interdisciplinary Studies: Building a 21st Century Career: Identity and an Examined Professional Life (In-person): Stephen Craft instructor; 4 credits
- INT-290 Special Topics in Interdisciplinary Studies: Introduction to Anthropology (Remote Synchronous): Jeffrey Collins instructor; 4 credits
- MAT-130 Advanced Functions (In-person): David Cook instructor; 4 credits
Housing information for J-Term 2022
- November 1, 2021 – Housing application available
- December 15, 2021 – Housing application deadline
- January 5, 2022 – Move-in
- January 28, 2022 – Move-out (Students that are registered for spring semester housing can stay in their room assignment between January 28-February 2)
Students can live on-campus for no charge if they meet the stated requirements below.
- Student is registered for at least one (1) class (4 or 5 hours), or are participating in an Oglethorpe related activity (i.e. for-credit internship, athletics, full-time research with an Oglethorpe faculty member, a resident assistant, an on-campus theatre production, or on-campus employment that exceeds 25 hours per week).
- Student is registered for at least 12 credit hours in the spring semester immediately following the J-Term.
- Student is registered for on-campus housing during the spring semester immediately following the J-Term.
Students that do not meet the stated requirements can petition the Residence Life office to live on campus during the J-Term. Approval will be given on a case-by-case basis, and as housing is available for J-Term. Students who are approved will be charged a daily rate for housing that is based on the spring semester immediately following the J-Term.Housing Application